SelfDecode is a fast-growing biotech startup in the personalized health space. We build software to help interpret peoples’ genetics, lab tests and symptoms in order to give personalized health recommendations.
- Our primary goal is to give people the tools they need to live a healthier and better life.
- We are a flat organization and prioritize efficiency.
- We work as a team and every input and suggestion is taken into account, no matter who it comes from.
- We thrive on open communication and dedication.
- We are a meritocracy and people who show good abilities or skills can move up in the organization fast, get raises, etc...
- We expect people to work full time without side gigs.
- We expect the applicant to have a long term relationship with our company.
- We expect employees to be proactive and autonomous.
- We do not micromanage.
- Dishonesty is not tolerated at all, and we thrive on trust.
- When you're working, we expect you to work.
- We emphasize skills & abilities rather than formal education.
We are very selective in our process because we look for a very long-term, full-time partnership with our employees. We try to keep the application process as short as possible, so that we don't waste anyone's time.
Job Type & Pay:
We are looking for a talented and experienced professional who is an expert in Human Genetics. Pay will be in accordance with abilities and experience.
- Full-time only
- Position is remote
- No agencies
- Salary range is $60K - $100K / yr USD
- Equity is also potentially available for outstanding applicants.
- Identify and provide access to a comprehensive set of genomic and functional datasets.
- Develop and implement a strategy for how to use and deploy genomics and functional annotations data at in support of interpretation of human genetic variation.
- Develop tools and APIs for serving diverse genomics data types in a high-throughput and flexible manner.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply methods and test plans to assure data integrity and consistency.
Skills & Experience
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Human Genetics, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Expertise with tools and methods for predicting functional consequences of genetic variants (VEP, snpEff, etc.), and underlying models and data sources.
- Proficiency with major bioinformatics resources (Ensembl suite, UCSC Genome Browser suite, TCGA, gnomAD/ExAC, GTEx, etc.) and in-depth understanding of at least one of these ecosystems.
- Hands-on experience with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres, etc.) and fluency with at least one advanced data storage and retrieval technologies (such as Amazon Redshift, Hadoop, HDFS, etc.).
- Fluency in R/Python and occasionally other languages as needed for data processing and API development.
- Previous experience working in a startup or smaller company
- Previous remote work experience